This nightmare might happen to anyone: While having sex with a stranger, the condom broke or you didn't use it in the first place. And now you regret and worry about having STDs, especially HIV - a worst case scenario.
The most convenient and reliable place in Bangkok to check for HIV and other STDs is the Thai Red Cross Aids Research Center at Ratchadamri BTS station.If you had unprotected sexual intercourse with someone that you don't know well or someone who you think has a higher risk of having STDs, you might regret it afterwards.
Instead of searching the internet for symptoms and driving yourself crazy, you can keep calm and get tested. However, with regard to an HIV test, the earliest time to get reliable results is 2 weeks after the 'risky contact' (i.e. the day you had unprotected sex).
The Thai Red Cross Aids Research Center
You can get tested for HIV and other STDs at the Thai Red Cross Aids Research Center, which is located opposite of Lumphini park, near Ratchadamri BTS station (see map). Since this place is specialized in research and treatment of HIV/Aids, it's the most convenient and fastest way to get an HIV test in Bangkok.
With registration and queueing up , it usually takes 30-45 minutes till blood sampling and another 60 minutes to get the results. The doctor tells you the results in private. The registration is anonymous. In other words, you don't reveal your personal information. Just using initials is sufficient. Thus, you won't be listed in any database. Neither your health insurance nor any health department will get your information.
As everybody comes to this center for the same reason - an STD test, you won't feel embarassed, stigmatized or ashamed. You are 'one out of many'. Furthermore, the staff is well trained and can answer your questions in a professional way. Everybody speaks English.
- Central location: easy to reach by BTS or taxi
- Fast results: 45 - 60 minutes after blood draw (HIV test)
- Trained staff: Everybody speaks english. In case something is not clear, the staff guides you through the process and gives you suggestions
- No need to feel embarassed: Most people present are there for an HIV test. Thus, it's a very normal thing and you are 'one out of many'
- Anonymous: No information about your identity is needed. You can use your initials or a nickname to register. You get a "wellnes card" with a unique id, that you can use when you come again.
- Easy registration: You register and select your desired STD test via a computer terminal
- Discrete: The doctor tells you the results in a private room
- Price: An HIV test with doctor consultation will cost less than 500 THB
- Screening for other STDs: Besides HIV, you can get consultation and get tested for HPV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and other STDs
- Operating hours: Monday till Saturday, 7:30AM–4:30PM